Friday, February 11, 2011

Long Distance Relationships and the Internet


Technology has definitely come a long way since letter-writing days.  When I think of an olden day long distance relationship, I immediately picture the man in the army and the woman at home writing letters and patiently waiting for a reply.  I’m almost certain that this type of relationship has gone extinct.  Since then, there has been the phenomenon called the Internet and through that, a wide range of ways to keep in contact with the one you love.
Long distance relationships in general are more common these days due to various job opportunities and college in general.  Even though they may not exactly last very long, they do still exist.  Currently, I’m in a long distance relationship and I can admit that it would not be happening if it weren’t for the modern day technologies such as email, smart phones, and iChat.
Going down the list, let’s start with email.  Email is like child of the letter, much more advanced and way faster.  Email is something that is used by almost everyone.  Like the letter it can be accessed anywhere.  Unlike the letter, it is basically free.  My boyfriend lives in Japan, and most of the time, the time difference does not work out in our favor.  In this case we use email to contact one another knowing that sooner or later the other will read it and respond.  Something like this reminds me highly of one of the benefits of online social support groups.  The benefit of the OSSGs was that by writing you are able to work on your own time, carefully examine what you have to say before you send it, and also use the writing for therapy uses.  In one sense this is a great way to monitor yourself in the meaning that you don’t have to worry about slipping something you weren’t supposed to mention.  This is also really good when we get into an argument.  By using email, I am able to reevaluate the issue and myself and how I am handling it.  On the whole, email works out for the advantage, except that it still is something you have to wait for, and may not be as personal as a letter might have been 50 years ago.
Next topic--smart phones.  My blackberry literally saves me.  I am connected to the Internet 24/7 which means I can access my emails at any time, and also am on Google chat all the time.  I feel that smart phones in general are a big help to everyday activities.  This is probably why most people have them, and that normal phones are no longer in existence.  
And lastly, there is iChat.  Besides the Internet as a whole, I feel that iChat keeps my relationship together.  Living so far away from each other and knowing visits are scarce, it is nice to be able to have a “face to face” conversation once in a while.  I feel that through iChat you kind of hold onto the relationship of being able to talk face to face and makes it less awkward when you actually are together.  Without iChat, long distance relationships would rely on strictly text.  With only text, you lose a lot of emotion.  At least when you can see the other person, you are able to pick up how they are feeling and can see reactions, where letters exclude both of these.  Even now, iChat is kinda on the old side due to the new face time.  I personally do not have this feature, but I'm sure, for those who want to keep in touch, it is something very useful to have.
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, and my boyfriend halfway around the world, let’s just say I’m not unhappy.  Today isn’t 20 years ago and the Internet has once again succeeded in my books.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you talked about iChat and the way it allows for the visual-ness of emotions to be expressed. For example, yahoo used to be solely for instant messaging. Nowadays, people are able to type, view one another on the webcam, and use voice chat. I guess a more popular version is Skype. I have an iPhone 4, so I have FaceTime. Unfortunately, using it has its limitations, and I’ve really only been able to use it a couple of times. I can only FaceTime others who also have an iPhone 4 or the iPod Touch, and we both have to be connected through WiFi for it to work; there are ways to get around the WiFi part of it through certain hacks, but the gist of it is that we both need to have the compatible device. Since smart phones are taking over and people are using the normal phones less and less, one day, a majority of us will have access to video-calling. I'm curious to find out what'll be the next "in thing" after that!

    ReplyDelete